Orangerie


Orangerie

The orangerie was built south of the garden in 1888/89. Concerts, readings and cultural events take place here. 

Park

The park was designed by the painter Achim von Arnim-Bärwalde, one of Achim und Bettina von Arnim’s grandsons. He added a spacious studio – now the largest room in the house - to the north side of the house in 1878, decorating its high ceilings and doors with graceful ornamentation. He later added a balcony and a semicircular terrace to the side of the house facing the park. The generously proportioned stairway with its massive balustrades and urns leads from the terrace to the lower garden parterre and the central bed of plantings. Sandstone statues from the world of Greek and Roman mythology and huge urns that the artist brought back with him from his travels to Italy give the garden a festive southern ambience. Standing in a half circle in front of the large studio window is a group of grotesque statues of dwarves whose provenance remains unknown to this day.
At the western end of the garden parterre, the park turns into an English garden. 
Like the house itself, the park is protected by historic preservation legislation.

Church and Cemetery

In 1894/95 the small church located in the northern section of the castle park was renovated in accordance with the plans drawn by artist Achim von Arnim-Bärwalde, which transformed it to what we see today. The artist also designed the family cemetery adjacent to the church with the graves of Achim and Bettina von Arnim as well as a number of their descendants. Today the church is a parish church and can be viewed only during services or for groups by appointment
 
The park and the graves can be visited throughout the year.